Siphon is a collection of Python utilities for downloading data from remote data services. Much of Siphon’s current functionality focuses on access to data hosted on a THREDDS Data Server. It also provides clients to a variety of simple web services.
Siphon follows semantic versioning in its version number. With our current 0.x version, that implies that Siphon’s APIs (application programming interfaces) are still evolving (we won’t break things just for fun, but many things are still changing as we work through design issues). Also, for a version 0.x.y, we change x when we release new features, and y when we make a release with only bug fixes.
We support Python >= 3.5 and currently support Python 2.7.
We are dropping support for Python 2.7 in the Fall of 2019. For more details and rationale behind this decision, see Python 2.7 Support.
- For questions about Siphon, please ask them using the “python-siphon” tag on StackOverflow. Our developers are actively monitoring for questions there.
- You can also email Unidata’s python support email address
- The source code is available on GitHub
- Bug reports and feature requests should be directed to the GitHub issue tracker
- Siphon has a Gitter chatroom for more “live” communication
- If you use Siphon in a publication, please see Citing Siphon.
- For release announcements, join Unidata’s python-users mailing list